Bird Back Up!

Written by: Tony Korologos | Date: Tuesday, June 24th, 2014
Categories: DJIMultirotor Aircraft

It took me only six days, mostly due to waiting for parts, to get my crashed DJI Phantom back up and running.  I scavenged some parts of my new gimbal from my big bird (broken screws) and ordered a new Phantom compass which ran me $15 plus shipping.

Phantom Approaching Waterfall

Phantom Approaching Waterfall

I did break my 3D printed Phantom landing gear extensions and have not replaced them. I’m simply launching with the bird elevated by some batteries to give the gimbal enough clearance to move. Then I’m landing as normal. The gimbal has about 1/8″ of clearance. Yes, this may now be optimal for grassy areas or dirt, but it works for now.

I’ve been adjusting gains on the Phantom and the gimbal like mad, trying to find the sweet spot vibration wise. I think I’m getting closer, but hard to tell unless there’s a little wind.  Last night I did some evening test flights in NO wind.  None.  Flying in those conditions is great, but very uncommon.

  • Social

  • Tags

  • Recent Posts

  • Recent Comments

  • Meta

  • Archives