I’ve built a few new drones so it is time to update the fleet photo.
Back Row – Left to Right
680mm Alien Quadcopter, 960mm Hexacopter with 3 Axis Gimbal & Sony Nex5T Camera, DJI Phantom One (OG)
2nd Row Left to Right
6 inch RoboCat Quad, 5 inch iFlight DC5 with DJI digital FPV, 250mm Arris quad, 7 inch long range quad
3rd Row Left to Right
5 inch Rooster, 3 inch toothpick quadcopter, 3 inch Ummagawd Acrobrat, Symma wrist controlled quad, 5 inch with Caddx digital FPV, 5 inch with DJI digital FPV
4th Row Left to Right
2 inch quad, 3-inch iFlight DC3 with DJI FPV, BetaFPV Beta85 Whoop, BetaFPV Beta65 Whoop
Nano quad, Lego quad my 7 year old built for me, Husban nano quad
I think this may have been my first build which I started and completed, and successfully maidened in one day. I’ve wanted to have a DJI HD FPV based quad that was smaller than the two 6S 5″ quads I currently have. Something more portable, and able to fly in smaller areas.
iFlight DC3 HD Frame
The frame is the iFlight DC3 HD. DC stands for “deadcat,” which is an arm design which results in the camera having no props in view.
Deadcat designs are what many cinematographers choose.
I’m hooked on DJI’s FPV system because of numerous reasons, including the clarity of the FPV view in the goggles, recording HD 4K video on board, and elegant interfacing. So that’s why I chose the system for this build.
For my receiver I’m using TBS Crossfire. I’ve seen the light with TBS Crossfire and its long range capabilities. I’ve essentially vowed that from now on I will be using Crossfire for all my builds. This small quad has Crossfire, as well as the Immortal T antenna.
I’ve been testing out some EMax motors recently. I decided to go with the Emax ECO Micro Series 1407 motors at 2800kv. Based on that one might guess that I decided to run the system on 4S battery power.
Currently my battery of choice is a CNHL 4S 650MAH.
For the flight controller and 4in1 ESC I went with the Diatone Mamba Stack F405US MK3 Mini F35. I have a couple of other Mamba ESC’s in quads and I’ve been satisfied with their performance. The stack is capable of running 6S.
I found some arm bumpers/motor soft mounts online to 3D print. I also designed a 3D printed set of mounts for the Crossfire Immortal T.
I went with orange TPU filament to go with the orange theme of the quad.
I’m about to do some real flying with the quad in the next few days and will post some performance comments, and flying videos soon. Overall I’m very happy with the build and the equipment choices.
I picked up the new DJI HD FPV system for my birthday in October. I built two quads and put the DJI Air Units in them, and have been happily flying, and crashing in high quality immersive HD. If you haven’t tried the DJI HD FPV system, you should. It is tremendous.
I was very bummed to find a problem with my DJI FPV goggles though, about a month after I started using them. Some dots appeared in the screen. See below:
I contacted the retailer where the goggles came from and they informed me that I had to go directly through DJI for the repair. I was not sure if they would be covered under warranty, or what the warranty even was.
DJI HD Goggle Repair Timeline
Day 1 – I filled out the online repair request on the DJI website. When completed, I was emailed a PDF to print which was a UPS shipping label.
Day 2 – Goggles shipped to DJI.
Day 4 – I received an email notification that the goggles had arrived at DJI.
Day 8 – (after a weekend) I was notified that my unit would be covered under warranty. The repair would take between three to six business days.
Day 9 – I was informed that the unit was repaired and a second notice informed me that the unit passed quality assurance. The quality assurance email included an estimated shipping date within two business days. Shortly after that email, I received another email notifying me that the unit had shipped. So the repair, QA, and shipment all happened on the same day, when their original emails had times which could have been as long as eight business days. I just saved 7 business days, or 9 calendar days!
Day 11 – The goggles arrived.
The Repaired Goggles
Last night I checked out the goggles. The first thing I noticed was covers over the eye pieces, just like when the unit was brand new. When I plugged in the goggles to the computer, and loaded up the DJI software, the unit showed there was a software update for them. I had already done that update. Interesting.
Finally I found that the goggles were not bound to the two Air Units which I had bound before. SO, that leads me to believe that they may have replaced all the electronics, not just the screen. Either that or they replaced the entire set of goggles. Either way, they are good as new and I did my first flights with them today. They worked great.
I hope this issue with the spots on the display was a one-off.
I’m thankful for solid and quick product support from DJI. Thanks!