It took quite a lot of pondering to get here. I needed to find a way to mount the power distribution board. This is a small round disc which takes the power from the battery and “distributes” it to the motors and other parts of the hexacopter. I ended up mounting it on the underside of the “ship.”
The trick was finding a place where the screws would not interfere with the copter’s folding arms. And either I’m brain dead or the screw holes on this unit are not symmetrical as one was almost too close, but it seems it will work.
Another interesting experience was drilling holes in carbon fiber. That stuff is strong.
I’m probably going to rework the ESC/motor wires to one size smaller than now and can soon start running the wires in the arms for good.
Some backordered parts for the hexacopter build are starting to roll in. I’ve now received the radio system, an FrSky Taranis 16 channel setup.
It is slow going for my big bird build, or BBB as I just called it. I’m waiting for quite a few parts. The work I can do now though, is wiring the power to the motors and wiring the motor speed controllers.
The speed controllers needed both their power and servo cables extended. That’s done (below).
I can now start thinking of what to do with the power distribution board, and how to connect the ESC’s to the motors.
I tried to heat shrink with my old shrink wrap machine’s heat gun but that was like trying to use a blowtorch to light a cigarette. Melted the wires. May order a small heat gun, or maybe buy one of those blowtorch lighters…